Returning Veterans Exemption

A Returning Veterans Exemption is for veterans returning from active duty in armed conflict. They are eligible to receive a $5,000 reduction in the equalized assessed value of their property only for each taxable year in which they return.

Automatic Renewal: No, this exemption must be filed annually.
Due Date: The deadline to file for tax year 2023 is Monday, April 29, 2024. 

How can a homeowner see which exemptions were applied to their home last year?
Check the Cook County Portal website, then review the Exemption History and Status section. 

📌 Reminder: Exemptions appear on your second installment tax bill issued in the summer. To learn more about how the property tax system works, click here

Info Tab Titlelllll

Apply for the Current 2023 Tax Year

Info Tab Content

The filing period for tax year 2023 is now closed. 

Mail this form to: 118 North Clark St., Room 320, Chicago, IL 60602

Info Tab Titlelllll

Missing Property Tax Exemptions? Homeowners can apply for Certificates of Error(s)

Info Tab Content

If your home was eligible for the Returning Veteran Exemption in tax years 2021, 2020, 2019, or 2018 and the exemption was not applied to your property tax bill, the Assessor’s Office can help you obtain a refund through what is called a Certificate of Error. 

Certificate of Error applications for tax years 2021, 2020, 2019, or 2018 can be filed now by clicking the links below. As a reminder, it is recommended to apply online so that the application can be easily tracked and our representatives can provide status updates.

Apply Online

Info Tab Titlelllll


Info Tab Content
  1. Must be an Illinois resident who has served as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Illinois National Guard, or, U.S. Reserve Forces.
  2. Returning from active duty in an armed conflict involving the armed forces of the U.S. in 2023.
  3. Either own or had a legal or equitable interest in the property and used it as a principal place of residence on January 1, 2023. 
  4. Liable for the payment of property taxes.
Info Tab Titlelllll

Documentation Required to Apply 

Info Tab Content
  • If a veteran is discharged from active duty service, he or she will need to provide the Department of Defense DD Form 214 certified by the Cook County Clerk's Office or the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • If a veteran is still on active duty after returning home, they will need to provide military orders and a travel voucher showing the date of his or her return. The documents must state that they are returning from armed conflict involving the armed forces of the U.S. within the tax year that they are requesting the exemption.
  • A copy of one photo ID from List A must be provided along with an Occupancy Affidavit (the affidavit is provided within the online application).  The name and property address must match the application and the date of issue must verify that you occupied this property on or before January 1, 2023.

    List A: Photo IDs that verify identity and occupancy
    • Illinois Drivers License / ID Card
    • Matrícula Consular ID
    • City of Chicago ID Card
  • If the address on your photo ID does not match the property address, a copy of one document from List B and one from List C, and an Occupancy Affidavit must be provided. 
  • List B: Photo IDs that verify identity 
    • Illinois Drivers License / ID Card
    • Matrícula Consular ID
    • City of Chicago ID Card
    • US Military ID
    • Passport
    • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570)
    • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
    • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
    • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
    List C: Documents that verify 2023 occupancy (must demonstrate property occupancy as of January 1, 2023)
    • Bank statement
    • Landline, cable, or internet bill
    • Pay stub or Social Security Award letter
    • Voting record from 2022 (from Cook County Clerk’s office or Chicago Board of Elections)

For further assistance on how to obtain required documents contact the Chicago VA Regional office. 
Number: 312.980-4470 or 312.980.4378

Please Note: This exemption may be received in addition to any of the other exemptions.

Info Tab Titlelllll

Frequently Asked Questions

Info Tab Content

How do I apply for prior tax years?
If you were eligible for the exemption in a prior Tax Year but the exemption was not on your bill, you can apply for a refund or corrected bill by filing for a certificate of error. Learn more here.

  • A complete application requires supporting documents (listed above) and your home's PIN. How do I find my PIN? 
Info Tab Titlelllll

Download Guides

Info Tab Content


Brochure   Brochure